3-Layer Chili Mac and Cheese
Looking for a meal that will satisfy the kids and keep the adults on track with their health goals? This healthier version of the store-bought Mac and Cheese is just what you need. Whip up a batch of this two-pot wonder for dinner, take it for lunch or bring as a plus one to a potluck. Either way, whoever you serve it too will be dying to know your delicious, revolutionary recipe!
- Corn Free
- Egg Free
- Sugar Free
|1 teaspoon olive oil||1 cup spicy pasta sauce||pinch ground cinnamon|
|1/2 medium onion, chopped||1 cup cooked kidney beans||fresh ground pepper and sea salt, to taste|
|2 garlic cloves, minced||1/2 teaspoon ground cumin|
|macaroni and cheese:|
|150 grams macaroni||2 teaspoons dry mustard||¼ teaspoon paprika|
|¼ teaspoon sea salt||1 cup milk||4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar, divided|
|1 tablespoon olive oil||¼ cup yellow onion, finely diced||salt and pepper to taste|
|1 tablespoon brown rice flour||1 bay leaf|
|1 tablespoon olive oil||¼ teaspoon paprika|
|½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs||¼ teaspoon sea salt|
Set your oven to 350F
- Sauté your garlic and onion in a large pan over medium heat with your olive oil. After roughly five minutes, add in your remaining ingredients and bring to a light boil. Lower your heat and continue simmering together for another 10 minutes. Afterwards, place the contents of the pan into the bottom of your casserole dish!
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring your olive oil, rice flour and dry mustard together. Whisk until well incorporated. Next, add in your milk, onion, bay leave and paprika. With the lid on, simmer over low heat for ten minutes. Next, add in your cheese, cooking on low until melted. Remove your bay leaf, and then add in your macaroni, stir until combined.
- Place pasta on top of your chili mix in your casserole dish.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl, and mix until everything is well incorporated. Crumble the toppings evenly over the top of your pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot!
Make It This Way
Make this recipe dairy-free by using non-dairy milk, such as almond, hemp or rice milk and a non-dairy cheese.
Try ThisKids will love the taste of this macaroni and cheese so much that they’ll forget it isn’t the store bought kind – serve it to them and see if they notice the difference!